Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Teaching Experiences this week.

Today I had a baby class, the kid's name is Toshi. I saw him last week and didn't teach him, I just watched and he cried the whole time because I was in the room. So this morning I was like, ummm great I have to teach this kid who cries by just looking at me. As soon as he comes in the room, he starts crying. Now I don't mean a light cry, I mean he was scream crying. I sang some songs and did a little dance, nothing. Finally after scream crying for 20 minutes, the manager told me, "Toshi does not like men, so I think we should stop the lesson." Worst 20 minutes in Japan so far, I mean this kid would not stop. I hope I don't ever have to deal with him again.

On a positive note though, a student named Haruka, who cried when she saw me last week, was absolutely awesome in my class today. She is about 4 years old and was pronouncing words perfectly, she said, "it is a helicopter" with ease. After class her mom told me that Haruka told her, "he is really nice!" That certainly brightened my day.

Later in the day, I had probably my favorite student. His name is Yoshi and he is about 15 years old or so. He is the funniest kid I have come across. I asked him to introduce himself and tell me what his interests were. And I quote, "My name is Yoshi and I am interested in watching Adult Movies" followed by a wink... I couldn't help myself, I had to laugh. He is actually really smart and his grammar is awesome. I taught him the idiom "piece of cake" last week and today he says, "John, English is a piece of cake for me." I wish I could teach this kid everyday.

I was biking home today and was nearly hit by a car, I still am not used to the cars being on the opposite side. I look the wrong way every time I cross the street. It snowed today for the first time and everyone kept saying, oh it is sooo cold. I joked that it felt like spring to me and all the Japanese teachers were shocked. I said 30 degrees isn't cold, try -30. They all said, EEEEEEHHHHH(which means huh or wow). It was pretty funny. I went to McDonald's today for the first time in Tottori. It was surprisingly good, but the large drink was equal to a medium back in the states.

So I had a good start to the week and will be posting again this weekend, and I will get a picture up of me on my bike with the guitar on my back soon Steve.

ONE

1 comment:

  1. JOHNNY!!!! DO NOT GET HIT BY A CAR!!!!!!
    You know how neurotic I am!!!!
    I love your description of the kids. Kids are the same all over the world aren't they? I am happy that they are relating to you but not that baby...ha ha Yes, post pictures of you and I want to see what your place looks like too. I am going up north with my running group this weekend. Everyone else is good. Will you watch the super bowl? We need your tax info. Time for your ma to teach! Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete