Saturday, May 28, 2011

Hokkaido

I went to Hokkaido last weekend with my co-workers for an Amity convention. This is a gathering of the best Amity schools in Japan and because we were rated number 1 of course we got to go. The vice president even asked that I give a speech and use Japanese....I was a bit shocked when I heard this, but I thought it would be fun to speak Japanese in front of 300 people...!

So we arrived and right away we went to the reception. There were a bunch of people who gave speeches before me and none of them used Japanese. So when my turn came I was kinda nervous, but I went up there and gave my 1 minute Japanese speech and I think it went well. In fact I heard the president's table oooing and ahhhing. That gave me an extra boost of confidence and I delivered the English portion of my speech without looking down at my notes. It was a nice experience and I'll never forget that. I took a video, so you can all see it when I get back because I won't be putting it on fbook.

I am winding down here, I'm kind of in that weird state that feels like the end of college or high school. It's kind of exciting, but kind of sad to think that this part of my life is over. I am ready to come home because I am sooo home sick and miss everyone dearly, but I've made a little family over here and it is going to be hard to say goodbye. Sorry to get all dramatic, but I'm listening to the new Bon Iver album as I type and it kind of makes me all emotional. The thing I am going to miss the most is my students, I have some truly amazing students. I'll miss the way the young ones tell me stories about their day in Japanese and I just go WOW or SUGOI! and they get so proud because they impressed me. I have these five 3 yr old students who I have taught since the day I got here every Saturday morning. They are like little angels, they all sit in a perfect semi-circle around me and say all the weather and feeling words perfectly as their parents and other interested parents watch from the window. It is moments like this I am going to miss.
BUT, none of that can compare to the excitement I am feeling from the thought of being able to talk face to face with my family and friends again. It is a lonely life out here. I have friends, but only on the weekends usually. I can't wait to see you all.
I have a couple more adventures planned, so stay tuned and I'll be home very soon.
JB

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome Johnny, I am so proud of you! We are all so excited that you are coming home soon. Julia is literally counting the days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 35 more days!!!!!! But who's counting? I will not be able to let you out of my sight!

    ReplyDelete