Monday, March 8, 2010

Sand Dunes 砂丘に行った!






Today I had a Japanese lesson with Mistue. Instead of going to her house we decided to go to the Sand Dunes and only talk in Japanese. She said, "This is my style, outside lesson today, Ne." So we headed to the Sand Dunes and they were massive. They were much bigger than what I had expected. The wind was quite strong, so it was difficult climbing to the top. We did it and got to see the large drop to the ocean from the top. We talked about how big, beautiful and different the sand dunes were. We also talked about a small island in the distance that looks like a whale. After getting on the subject of whales, I had to ask her. "Have you ever eaten whale?" She said she hadn't, but that they serve it in schools because it is cheap!!! So Japanese people feel the need to kill an endangered species, and then sell them for cheap?!?! That confused me and it was quite frustrating to hear that they make school children eat the whale...Anyways after complaining about whaling for a while we headed to Koyama pond. Mitsue really loves this pond, although like I said earlier, it is more of a lake. It is very beautiful because it is surrounded by mountains.

After that we headed to an Italian all you can eat restaurant! That's right, all you can eat in Japan! I was so excited, I had an opportunity to stuff my face like an American! Mitsue and I sat down next to these four girls, and I got the usual giggle when we sat down. I then began to devour everything that was put in front of me. Mitsue asked me how I can eat so much and be skinny. I said, if you knew my friends Joe and Zev, you would be asking why I can only eat half as much as them. We chatted about our families and Mitsue said, wow your mother much be very strong (とても強い). We then returned to the bike station where I hopped on my bike and returned home. It was a good day of studying, conversation and sightseeing. I finally got to see the Sand Dunes. Till next time. PEACE

3 comments:

  1. You made me smile with your comment about your strong mother! Ahh, yes, I am up to 10 pound weights now! ha ha!
    I love the pictures! I copied your blog off and gave it to Nanny and Grandpa and they loved it! I showed Dad the video of you and J as rock stars. another ha ha.
    LOVE YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whale for school lunch, thats interesting. You should fill them in about Papa John's. Um, are you riding a camel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't hop on the camel, not yet. When it gets warmer I am gonna take one for a spin.

    ReplyDelete